Call Now: 1-920-432-1007
Toll Free: 1-800-472-3348

Mark D. Olejniczak Realty, Inc.
375 W. St. Joseph St.
Green Bay, WI 54301

Difference Between Flood Damage and Water Damage

Flood Damage, Water Damage, Flood Insurance, Homeowners Insurance, Coverage

While homeowner’s insurance does not protect against flood damage to your home, most homeowners policies will cover water damage if it is caused by things like wind, broken pipes, appliance malfunctions, or roof leaks.


With water damage, you will more than likely have to pay a deductible, and there are two types of coverage: “dwelling coverage” for damage to the structure and “personal property coverage” for damage to your belongings.


Flood damage is considered to be a completely different peril than water damage and is not covered under a homeowner’s policy. Flood insurance is available only through the federal government’s national flood insurance program.


Simply put, the main difference between a flood claim and a water damage claim is where the water comes from. With flood damage, the water comes from a natural source while water damage results from the types of things mentioned earlier.


It’s a good idea to check with your insurance agent about what your homeowner’s policy covers and what it doesn’t.